RC model of the J-class Endeavour. Original sailplan with consequently a long fin with ballast.
#@hanno; Jun 1996 Back »
I have always been enthousiastic about The J-class endeavour since I first saw a photograph of her.
The size and elegance of the vessels. The lines of the hull narrow and very smooth. I have always considered these ships to have the most beautiful hull shape.
It took quite some time to build her, I started approximately 20 years ago this first mould I still have but due to a lack in experience the first hull it got stuck in the mold.
Several years ago I started a new project which was succesfull. I now have a beautiful male model from which I make female hull. Maybe one day I will make a female mold form the male model. This will reduce the finish time of the hull considerable and will allow me to make models for others.
She sails very well. I have opted for the most simple control of a sailboat. That is the rudder is on a servo and all sails are on a single sail winch. The rigging is to scale of the hull, and that means she has a large sail area.
Her very narrow hull makes her sail better to windward and on reaching legs than sailing off wind. This is when she tends to dig in her nose when pushed too hard.
This is logical as there is very little floatation in the (needle) nose.
The freeboard of J-class yachts is very small and with the model this is quite noticeable when sailing to windward, only a small angle of heel already lets the deck go under water.
It took me quite some time to decide if I wanted my model to sail well in reasonalbe (ie Beaufort 4) with a scaled sail area or if I would reduce the sailarea for this. early on in the project it was clear to me that a totally scale endeavour would have totally insufficient stability to carry the original sailplan in more than a wift of wind.
As you can see I decided (luckily) for the choice of sailing with the full sailplan. I thus had to increase stability considerably as can be seen on the picture. This can be easliy done in model boats as the scaling down leads to and increase in strenght and decrease in weight allowing for a considerable leadbulb on a carbonfibre reinforced keel.
Another choice I made early in the project is to increase manoeuvrability. The original rudder on the keel is highly inefficient, as I know from an old model of the dragon class. consequently this endeavour is fitted with a (too) large balanced spade rudder.
Working with a very small (in size) version of the linesdrawings of endeavour as seem in this picture I started the project. Apart from the pictures I had seen, it were these lines that drew me to Endeavour.
There have been more than 1 Endeavour J-class yachts. I do not know which one this is.